The Ultimate Guide to Visiting Dubai in Winter | Attractions, Weather, What to Wear & More
While Dubai is a great place to visit any time of the year, winter is definitely the most popular season to travel there. The temperatures are mild and pleasant, making it a comfortable experience overall. Plus, there are tons of fun events and activities to enjoy in Dubai in winter. For instance, the Dubai Shopping Festival takes place every year from December to January and features amazing discounts on shopping, dining, and entertainment. There's no shortage of things to do in Dubai during winter and the mild weather can help you do them all!
Why visit Dubai in Winter?
1. Enjoy Pleasurable Climate
Favorable weather conditions and a wide range of attractions are some of the reasons why Dubai is an excellent tourist destination all year round. However, in winter, Dubai offers additional incentives for visitors. The cooler weather means that sightseeing and outdoor activities can be enjoyed more comfortably without having to worry about the heat. In addition, popular events and festivals take place during the winter months, providing an extra dimension to a Dubai holiday.
2. Enjoy the Dubai Shopping Festival
The Dubai Shopping Festival is one of the most popular annual events in Dubai. Running for a month from late December to early January, it offers visitors the chance to take advantage of discounts and special offers at malls and shops across the city. There are also a variety of family-friendly activities on offer, such as musical performances, fireworks displays, and carnivals. The Dubai Shopping Festival is easily the winter highlight of Dubai.
3. View Christmas Celebrations
Christmas is a special time to visit Dubai, as the city is lit up with festive decorations and there are many seasonal events and activities on offer. The annual Christmas Parade sees colorful floats, marching bands, and Santa Claus make their way through the streets of downtown Dubai, while the Winter Wonderland attraction at Dubai Mall is a festive decoration with Christmas trees, carousels, and other attractions.
4. Witness the Dubai New Year's Fireworks
The biggest and most spectacular celebration in Dubai is undoubtedly the New Year's Eve fireworks display. Held at the Burj Khalifa, the world's tallest building, this event is watched by millions of people around the world and is an amazing sight to behold. The fireworks are choreographed to music and light up the night sky with dazzling colors, making it a truly unforgettable experience.
What to Look Out for in Dubai During Winter?
1. Increased Rates of Accommodation
As the winters set in, the rates of hotels and other forms of accommodation generally increase. This is especially true in Dubai as tourism peaks during this time. Make sure to book your stay well in advance to avoid paying higher rates.
2. It Gets Chilly After Dark
Even though the temperatures during the daytime are still relatively mild in Dubai, it can get quite chilly after dark. Be sure to pack some warm clothes if you're planning on doing any sightseeing or shopping in the evening.
3. Crowds at Most Attractions
If you're not used to large crowds, be prepared for the throngs of tourists at most attractions in Dubai. This is especially true during the winter months when the weather is good and people from all over the world flock to this city
4. The Weather Can Be Unpredictable
Dubai's weather can be quite unpredictable, so it's always a good idea to pack a light jacket or sweater, just in case. You may also want to bring an umbrella, as rain is not uncommon during the winter months.
What to Wear in Dubai in Winter
The temperature in Dubai in winter is usually around 25 degrees Celsius. Dress in light, comfortable clothing and bring a light jacket or shawl to wear in the evenings
Top Things to do in Dubai in Winter
4. Shop at The Mall of the Emirates
Dubai is home to some of the world's most luxurious and opulent malls, and The Mall of the Emirates is one of the best. From high-end brands to local souks, there is something for everyone here. The Ski Dubai arena inside the mall is a winter wonderland with real snow and ski runs for a day of fun family entertainment. With so much to see and do, The Mall of the Emirates is a great place to spend a winter day in Dubai.
7. Check Out the Christmas Lights at The JBR Beach
The Beach at JBR is one of the most popular places to go in Dubai for a festive evening out. With its stunning beachfront location, fantastic restaurants, and cafes, and lovely Christmas decorations, it is the perfect spot to enjoy a winter evening in Dubai. Stroll along the beachfront, take a dip in the ocean, and enjoy the festive atmosphere all around you. The Beach is definitely one of the best places to visit in Dubai during winter.
9. Head to Hatta for a Day of Adventure
If you're looking for some adventure during your Dubai winter trip, head to Hatta for a day of hiking, camping, and exploring. The Hatta Mountains are a beautiful place to spend a day outdoors, and there are plenty of activities to keep you busy. Hike the trails, go camping in the wilds, or explore the old villages and forts in the area. This is a great way to get out and explore the amazing natural scenery of the UAE.
Festivals & Events in Dubai in Winter
Dubai International Film Festival
Date: Dec - Jan
Venue: Throughout Dubai
Dubai is also home to the Dubai International Film Festival (DIFF), which takes place every December and January. The festival features films from all over the world, and it's a great opportunity to see some of the latest and greatest movies. There are also workshops and panels where you can learn more about the film industry.
Dubai New Year's Eve
Date: Dec 31
Venue: Downtown Dubai
Dubai is home to one of the world's most famous New Year's Eve celebrations. The event takes place in downtown Dubai, and it features a massive fireworks display. The fireworks are set to music, and they're one of the most impressive sights in the city. If you're in Dubai on December 31, be sure to check out the New Year's Eve celebration!
Dubai International Jazz Festival
Venue: Throughout Dubai
The Dubai International Jazz Festival is another popular event in Dubai. The festival takes place every February, and it's a great opportunity to see some of the world's best jazz musicians. The festival features concerts from artists from all over the world, and it's a great opportunity to experience different cultures.
Omega Dubai Desert Classic
Venue: Emirates Golf Club
The Omega Dubai Desert Classic is a professional golf tournament that takes place every February. It's one of the biggest golf tournaments in the world, and it attracts some of the best players in the world. If you're a fan of golf, be sure to check out the Omega Dubai Desert Classic!
Know Before You Visit Dubai in Winter
What to Pack for Dubai in Winter
- Jackets: A light coat and long overcoat will help you stay warm while looking fashionably presentable.
- Jeans and pants: Jeans and pants will help you stay warm while also allowing you to conform to the city's traditional customs.
- Shrugs: On bright days, you might not require a lot of jackets when you're heading out. Shrugs can be useful on such days.
- Maxi skirts: Long maxi dresses will undoubtedly set you apart on Dubai's glittering beaches in the winter months.
Getting Around Dubai in Winter
- By Bus: The extensive network of buses in Dubai has 119 internal lines, 12 intercity lines, and 8 fast lines. The city has an active fleet of 1,518 buses.
- By Metro: Metros in Dubai are well air-conditioned. There are 53 stations and two lines namely green and red lines.
- By Taxi: It is a very readily available means of transport. The fare approximately starts at AED 3.
- By Water bus: It is a joyful mode of transportation to travel in Dubai with fares ranging from AED 1 - AED 4.
Where to Stay in Dubai During Winter
The accommodation prices are higher during winters because it is the peak season, and tourism remains the pinnacle. The following are some of the best hotels of specific categories:
- Budget Hotels: City Seasons Towers, Sun and Sands Hotel, Gulf Star Hotel, Crystal Plaza Hotel
- Regular Hotels: Mercure gold hotel, v hotel Dubai, Fortune Pearl Hotel
- Luxury Hotels: Atlantis the Palm, Burj al Arab, The Oberoi Dubai
What to Eat in Dubai During Winter?
- Majboos: This popular Emirati dish has been a significant part of Dubai's culture for many generations. It is prepared with meat on delicious basmati rice and is an absolute treat to the taste buds.
- Fatteh: Fatteh is an authentic Emirati Bread delicacy. It is prepared with chickpeas and stuffed aubergines as toppings alongside yogurt, and tahini sauce. It is a perfect dish to serve as an evening meal.
- Chelo Kebab: A must-try to experience the rich flavors of Dubai’s cuisine is Chelo Kebab. It is one of the most mouth-watering dishes and is exceptionally delicious.
- Kousa Mahshi: Another wholesome dish that is amongst the most popular ones in the Middle East is Kousa Mahsi. The dish includes zucchini stuffed with meat or rice, making it rich and incredible in flavor and mouth-watering.
Frequently Asked Questions About Visiting Dubai in Winter
During the winter season in Dubai, the temperature falls up to 25°C in the daytime. Generally, the nights are colder because the temperature remains about 12°C.
Yes. The sea temperature remains about 25 degrees, making swimming and water activities pleasant.
Yes! There is a high possibility of encountering fog during the chilly winter mornings. Well, the mist also depends upon temperature. If the winter is moderate enough, there will be no fog.
The wind becomes strong and cold during the winter months - the wind speed peaks in March with 9.2 miles per hour.
Since it is winter season, packing pants, jeans, sweaters, and warmers are necessary. But if you wish to look cool and trendy, you should also fill some maxi skirts and shrugs.
Yes! Since the winter months ranging from December to March are the peak season for tourism, the accommodation charges usually increase.
Dubai is not as expensive as many people think it is. There are plenty of affordable restaurants, hotels, and activities to partake in while visiting. In fact, by planning your trip during the summer months when prices drop, you can save even more!
Overall, Dubai is a safe place to visit. It has low crime rates, and justice operates strictly to protect individual rights. However, it would help if you familiarize yourself with the norms regarding public behavior and articles of clothing.
There are several magnificent tourist attractions that you can visit during winters like Burj Khalifa, Dubai Frame, Dubai safari park, and IMG World.
During the winter season, the temperature falls up to 25°C in the daytime. Generally, the nights are colder because the temperature remains about 12°C.
The delightful Dubai Fountain show, an exciting visit to Kidzania in Dubai Mall, the alluring snow world of ski Dubai and the aquatic life of Dubai Aquarium will surely make kids love the winter trip to Dubai.